Friday, October 17, 2008

Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema Caracalla and Geta painting

Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema Caracalla and Geta paintingSir Lawrence Alma-Tadema Welcome Footsteps paintingSir Lawrence Alma-Tadema promise of spring painting
compassionate as all of you are, I have a responsibility to raise my hopeful voice in defense of the voiceless, the powerless, the hungry and the dying. It would be wrong of me to be silent when I know better.
Today I’d like to talk about Third World poverty, and why we in the First World are responsible. And how we can change it. * There is famine in many countries, and people are dying of malnourishment, of starvation, and of related diseases. Many of them live in the streets, children included, with no shelter, no jobs, no hope of anything better. From one.org: “Around the world, over one billion people survive on less than a dollar a day and one person in seven goes to bed hungry each night.” * Access to health care is almost non-existent, and millions die of diseases that
What’s at Stake
I am not going to bore you with statistics, and this post would be pages and pages long if I went into details. But let’s just briefly look at what is happening in the Third World, a group of countries that is immensely populous but immensely poor.
The effects of the extreme poverties of these countries is devastating. Just a few:

No comments: